I occasionally get complaints from people I refuse / unfollow on social media. The fact is; I am not obliged to accept a connection request, and unfollowing someone doesn’t mean that we are not friends any more.
My general approach is; I accept requests from genuine connections only, and I follow genuinely interesting accounts only. Here are the typical reasons I unfriend/unfollow someone:
- I may have accepted your connection request temporarily, but if we don’t really know each other, I may unfriend you.
- If we aren’t really connected (any longer), I may unfriend you.
- If you are posting too frequently (flooding), I may unfollow you.
- If you are posting about subjects irrelevant to me (like politics, sports, cheesy quotes, etc), I may unfollow you.
- If every other post you make is a selfie, I may unfollow you because I already know what you look like.
Time is a limited resource, and connecting / following someone costs time. I recommend spending it wisely.